Gastrointestinal surgery is an evolving speciality which has witnessed major developments in last two decades. The field of Laparoscopic surgery or Minimally Invasive Surgery has evolved rapidly in GI Surgery and this finds application in most of the Gastrointestinal disorders. This site is intended to provide information to the patients and health care professionals about GI surgery in particular Laparoscopic Surgery.
Why Laparoscopy? Is there any advantage other than cosmetic?
A very pertinent question indeed! In laparoscopic of key-hole surgery the steps and the procedure performed is same as in open surgery. Since the entire operation is made through small incision it provides the following benefits to the patient:
• Less pain after operation.
• Less tissue trauma and hence healing time is reduced
• Early ambulation and quick recovery
• Early return of bowel functions
• Early return to work and social life
• Cosmetic advantage due to small scars